Five arrests after illegal rave near Thetford

Thetford news from the Bury Free Press
Thetford news from the Bury Free Press
Have your say

Five arrests were made following an illegal rave in the Lynford area, near Thetford, yesterday.

Police attended in the early hours of yesterday morning and efforts were made to contain the site at ‘fire-ride 40’, in the Grimes Graves area of the forest.

Officers blocked off access points to prevent more people entering.

It is thought to have started just after midnight and around 400 people are thought to have attended, with around 200 vehicles parked up.

In the interests of officer safety and considering the large numbers in attendance, the event was closely monitored by police throughout the early hours, with intelligence and evidence gathering in relation to vehicles and people present.

Air support from a police helicopter was also used to monitor the incident and gather evidence.

Officers closed the event at about 12.30pm with sound equipment, speakers, turn-tables and two vehicles seized.

The music was stopped, the site was cleared and blockades to access routes were lifted.

Five arrests were made concerning organising the event and possession with intent to supply drugs. Investigations are continuing.

Superintendent Stuart Gunn said: “It continues to be disappointing that people who attend such raves believe that it is acceptable to trespass, cause disruption and damage the forest.

“Those attending this event showed a complete disregard for road safety, the flora and fauna of the forest, residents in the local community, as well a lack of concern for their own safety.

“During the course of the night, officers monitored the incident and did what was possible in the circumstances to maintain road safety and limit damage to the land.”

He added: “Unlicensed music events (UMEs) or raves like this one are not only a disturbance to local people, but also very unsafe due to the remote location, closeness to fast roads and intoxication of people attending.

“A mess was left behind here and damage was done to the forest area. Significant police resources were deployed and several arrests have been made.”

Earlier this year, a 26-year-old woman was airlifted to hospital after collapsing at a UME in Croxton, near Thetford, while an 18-year-old man was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, with serious head injuries after falling 10ft from a speaker rig following an illegal rave in Swanton Abbott.

Norfolk Police says it will seek to take positive action, seize equipment and prosecute offenders involved in line with the wishes of the communities that are affected by such illegal activities.