Firefighters continue to tackle Bury St Edmunds fire

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are still at the scene of a fire which broke out in a busy Italian restaurant in Bury St Edmunds on Saturday night.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service received a call to a cellar fire at Strada restaurant, in The Traverse, Bury, at around 8.50pm on Saturday, where a total of 120 people had been evacuated.

Around 60 firefighters were used to tackle the blaze and at midnight the back of the historic Cupola House Strada occupied, built in 1693, collapsed.

Today, a police cordon has prevented neighbouring businesses from opening and while rubble can still be seen in Skinner Street, three fire crews remain active damping down pockets of fire from the outside.

Speaking from the scene, group commander John Wilcock said: “On arrival firefighters found a well developed fire and attacked this with hose reel jets wearing breathing apparatus. The fire quickly spread and in total 12 fire engines were required at the incident.”

He said the fire service was at the recovery stage and was working with other agencies to get businesses up and running in the centre of town.

He added: “We’ve had a significant structural collapse to the rear of the building and we have concerns about the safety of the front of the building. We’re keeping the public away due to safety issues and will be working with structural engineers to make sure it’s safe.”

See Friday’s Bury Free Press for full details.