Firefighters, who are not involved in today’s strike action, are currently at the scene of a fire in Bury St Edmunds town centre.
A crew from Ixworth were called to LP, in Woolhall Street, at around 2pm after a fire broke out in the bar’s wood-burning stove, which is used to cook pizza.
The bar is expected to reopen later today.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service is operating a reduced service this afternoon as a result of further strikes being called in the national dispute regarding pensions.
The firefighters called to the fire at LP are not part of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU), which made the decision to take industrial action.
The reduced service will operate from noon until 5pm today, from 2pm until 2am tomorrow and from 10am until 3pm on Sunday.
Members of the public are encouraged to be extra vigilant at these times and to take extra care.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe:
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms
- Ensure everyone in the household knows what to do in the event of a fire
- Make sure you have an escape plan in place for everyone in the home
- Keep a corded and mobile phone beside you at night in case of emergencies
- In the event of a fire in the home, Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999
For further advice, visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/emergency-and-safety/fire-and-rescue-service