Festival is axed over fight fears

A MUSIC festival expected to bring up to 2,500 people into a town centre has been cancelled after fears were raised over possible gang violence.

Brandon Buzz, due to take place on August 28 and 29, has been axed after organisers were made aware of plans by rival local youths to disrupt the event with fighting.

Eddie Stewart, event organiser, said numerous ‘reliable sources’ had informed him of the plans.

“We heard that there were going to be some problems with younger people that could involve weapons being used and we just couldn’t take the chance with security,” he said.

“We are responsible organisers and we couldn’t take a risk of anyone being injured.”

Last year’s festival was also cancelled after concerns about security were raised.

Organisers had put in place extra security measures for this year’s event to combat that threat, with security guards and 20 stewards brought in. External alcohol had also been banned from the event.

Mr Stewart said the cancellation was a disappointment for the bands that were booked and for young people in the town.

“It’s only a minority of young people who are causing these problems and they ruin it for everyone else,” he said.

“This festival was set up to give the young people of this town something to do – especially to get involved in music.

“We’ve run it for 12 years with very little trouble but we just can’t take a risk this year,” he said.

Nine bands, stalls, catering and field entertainment that were booked for the event have now had to be cancelled.

Acts booked include BurySound winners Twisted Piglet, Steel Flint and Benny Moonshine and the Rhythm Twins.

The bands were booked for the first day of the festival, with a fun day organised for the following day.