Family’s lucky escape from blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FAMILY had a lucky escape after a fire engulfed a thatched cottage.

Lucinda Thuilliez, husband Stephen and mother-in-law Joan fled from their home in Church Lane, Dalham, as flames consumed the roof on Sunday night.

At least 80 firefighters battled for six hours to save the picturesque building and to stop the blaze spreading to other properties.

The roof was destroyed as well as most of their possessions upstairs .

However, fire crews managed to rescue a lot of their belongings from downstairs and stored them in a temporary shelter.

Lucinda, 42, who has rented the property for about four years, praised the fire service for their efforts along with the Red Cross, who also went to offer help.

She said: “They were brilliant and so organised.”

It is believed that the fire started in the chimney.

Joan, 72, said the family were alerted to the blaze when she saw smoke drifting past the window as they sat in the living room.

Mr Thuilliez went out and saw the roof on fire and the family escaped with their three dogs.

Fire crews including engines from Bury, Mildenhall and Elmswell attended at 6.23pm.