‘Too many homes’ worry over village estate plan

0
Have your say

NEW homes and flats on a former factory site in Lavenham have been given the thumbs down from parish councillors at a special meeting held last Thursday.

Knight Development from Kelvedon in Essex wants to build 45 new homes on the derelict factory site off Preston Road.

More than 30 residents voiced objections on Thursday to Lavenham Parish Council which says it is concerned at the density of the development and lack of information about affordable housing on the site.

It has called on Babergh District Council to refuse the scheme.

Parish council chairman Roy Whitworth said: “We felt that the application was lacking a lot of detail, and there are various issued which have yet to be resolved such as density of the development, the height of some of the buildings and the lack of information regarding the amount of affordable housing.

“We are also worried about the extra traffic created. If the land is contaminated, there will be lots of lorries carrying soil away from the site and through the village, and that is something that needs to be thought about.”

Mr Whitworth said the parish council, and the majority of residents, were supportive of site being developed for housing and liked what architects were proposing for it.

He added: “But there was a general concern about the density of the site, and about there being too many houses. It’s a very important site because it is at the entrance to Lavenham and needs to look right.”

He said 12 flats in two, three-storey blocks were proposed with a mixture of two, three and four bedroomed houses planned as well as recreational space. 
The former Amorex factory, which made products for the cement industry, closed seven years ago and the site was left empty.

The site was originally ruled out for housing by the district council but because there had been no success in finding a buyer to take it on as a factory, the proposal includes a change of use to housing.