GOVERNORS at St Louis Catholic Middle School in Bury St Edmunds have won their appeal to keep the school open.
The school was told the news yesterday after an adjudicator upheld the appeal against the closure of St Louis and expansion of St Benedict’s Catholic School and St Edmunds Primary School as part of Suffolk County Council’s School Organisational Review.
Bernard Edge, speaking on behalf of the school’s governing body, said: “In upholding our appeal, the schools adjudicator has given clear guidance on the proper way to decide on the shape of Catholic education in West Suffolk.
“It can’t be imposed from above or by a central group. Instead, it must be a consensual decision that arises from the considered deliberations of all stakeholders.”
St Benedict’s had been due to increase its capacity from 606 to 900 by taking on pupils from the age of 11.
The initial decision to close the school was made on September 13.
See next Friday’s Bury Free Press for more.