A MAN who was involved in a car accident while more than four times the drink-drive limit has been banned from driving for three years.
When the case was first heard at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court last month, district judge David Cooper told Edric Bray, 65, of Lark Valley Drive, Fornham St Martin, to prepare for a prison sentence, saying it was ‘one of the highest readings’ he had known.
But Bray, who pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol, was spared prison when he was sentenced at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
At the Bury hearing, Rosalind Cappleman, prosecuting, said police were called to St Saviours roundabout, in Bury, at around 12.55pm on July 11, where the car Bray was driving had been involved in an accident with a car pulling a caravan.
He was breathalysed and a reading of 155 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath was recorded - the legal limit is 35 micrograms.
In mitigation, Kevin McCarthy said Bray was ‘a man with a long and enduring alcohol problem’ and had started receiving help from Focus12, a drink rehabilitation charity in Bury.
On Wednesday, Bray was banned from driving for three years, to be reduced by nine months on satisfactory completion of a driving rehabilitation course.
He was also given a community order for two years, with supervision, and ordered to pay costs of £85.