Couple’s anger at police

0
Have your say

A FAMILY from Lakenheath say police failed to properly investigate the theft of their £7,500 caravan – while they discovered vital clues after turning sleuth themselves.

Ray and Louise Holder reported the theft when they discovered their caravan was missing from their driveway last Friday morning.

The couple, who have a 10-year-old daughter Maisy,had been planning to go away with it in Easter and said they were shocked and disappointed when the police operator said there was no point coming out to look at an empty driveway.

Ray, 49, a self-employed painter and decorator, and Louise, 44, a personal assistant, turned detective themselves, following a trail from their house on Wings Road to the football ground round the corner. There they found a lock cut from their caravan and a towbar cover – clues that could have led to the culprits capture, they say.

Having reported the crime last Friday the couple were not contacted until Ray phoned to complain on Sunday and an officer was sent out.

Ray said he had initially told police they had found a hitchlock and a tow bar.

“He said he would put it forward and a police officer would do door to door inquiries and check local CCTV.

“But no-one turned up until Sunday when I rang to complain.

“The police were absolutely shocking – they told me later my case had not even been passed to Mildenhall police.”

A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police said: “When the details of the items found were taken, it was not correctly allocated to the local Safer Neighbourhood Team to make further inquiries which would have included collecting items for forensic examination. The complainant has received an apology and will be kept updated.”