Couple devastated after fire at ‘perfect’ home

Lee Cavell and Duncan Whitney-Groom, both 42, outside their home in Stowupland which caught on fire on Wednesday evening ANL-150129-125011001
Lee Cavell and Duncan Whitney-Groom, both 42, outside their home in Stowupland which caught on fire on Wednesday evening ANL-150129-125011001
0
Have your say

A couple have been left devastated after their ‘perfect’ home in Stowupland was destroyed by fire.

On Wednesday evening, Duncan Whitney-Groom and Lee Cavell, both 42, were alerted to a fire in their grade II listed barn conversion in Saxham Street.

Duncan said: “I noticed initially around 7.30pm.

“I heard things dropping onto the downstairs toilet ceiling.

“That’s when I rushed upstairs and looked out the window and could see the flames licking up the side if the wall.

“At that point I thought I just have to do something so went outside and tried to put it out.

“I got out my step ladder, got on the steps and tried to put it out but the water pressure in the hose was rubbish.”

Eight fire crews attended the scene, working until 5.30am on Thursday to bring the fire under control.

Duncan said: “The whole of the end of the house is just terrible.

“Smoke has got everywhere even in cupboards where the doors were all shut.

“It is incredible the damage and the extent of what happened.

“The firefighters did an amazing job.

“The road was closed, we had eight fire vehicles here, just lots of people.”

Duncan said they had moved into their dream home just under a year ago.

“The house was just perfect,” he said.

“We moved here from Guildford in Surrey and as soon as we saw it we knew this was the place.

“To be in this position a year later is just devastating.”

Duncan said neighbours had helped retrieve some of their personal belongings from the home and had given them a place to stay.

“I just think gosh, if it had happened when we were asleep. It could have been a lot worse.

“We have had lots of 
offers of help and support from neighbours so we will be fine.”