Councillor’s anger over waste site approval in Bury St Edmunds

News from the Bury Free Press
News from the Bury Free Press
0
Have your say

A Suffolk County councillor has spoken of her anger after her own authority approved plans for a waste transfer station in Bury St Edmunds.

Cllr Sarah Stamp spoke against plans for the waste site at Rougham Hill at a meeting in Ipswich last Thursday.

Afterwards she said: “One of the reasons I stood as a county councillor was to give Bury a louder voice at Ipswich.

“They still chose not to listen. The most disappointing fact was the chose not to visit the site.

“Most that took the decision were unfamiliar with the site.”

At a meeting earlier this month, St Edmundsbury Borough Councillors argued the waste site would be ‘Incompatible’ with its own proposals for 1,250 new homes opposite, under its Vision 2031 plan.

Adrian Williams, a resident who spoke at the borough meeting, went so far as to suggest Hopkins Homes would withdraw its plans for the homes at that site.

A Hopkin Homes spokeswoman could not say whether the firm is either reviewing or withdrawing from the site.

A borough council spokeswoman said it merely allocated the land and it was down to the developer to decide how to take the site forward.