Editor’s comment: Slow down for the sake of our children
Sam Sykes is a dad who cares for his kids and doesn’t want anything to happen to them. As a parent, I can appreciate that sentiment.
Mr Sykes has invested £3,000 of his own money to monitor speeding outside his home on the A143 and found that every other car is breaking the law.
There was a time in the not-too-distant past when drinking (and driving) was not dealt with as harshly as it is today. Surely the time has come for us to react to speeding in the same way and consider it just as unacceptable?
I’m as guilty as the next motorist of failing to keep an eye on the speedo at every gear change, but the association of speed with ‘thrills’ needs to be challenged.
There’s a role for the police, too, in enforcement which needs tackling by new Police Commissioner Tim Passmore.
There are children similar to Sam Sykes’ two across West Suffolk – we owe it to them to think a little more and slow down.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west