CAMPAIGNERS looking to save a bus route in Bury St Edmunds are planning to present a petition to a council next week, just days after it is axed.
Bus company First is to introduce the changes from Sunday, which will mean that a bus running through the Howard and Mildenhall Road Estates will no longer turn left off St Olaves Way into Beetons Way.
That leaves frail old pensioners at Beetons Lodge sheltered housing unable to get a bus into town, while West Suffolk Hospital workers and patients face longer journeys and having to change buses in town.
It is hoped that a petition against the changes will be presented to the full meeting of St Edmundsbury Borough Council on Tuesday.
Community leaders from both estates met directors from First last Thursday. Borough councillor Bob Cockle called the meeting ‘constructive’.
“They have promises to keep the service route under constant review,” said Cllr Cockle.
He and fellow borough and Suffolk county councillor Mark Ereira-Guyer also raised concerns that both councils had been notified of the changes but had not informed councillors or residents.
Meanwhile Suzanne Game, chairman of the Howard Estate’s Association of Residents and Tenants, said: “I have had lots of concerned people contacting me. Quite a few people on the estate work at the hospital and say getting to and from work will be quite hard.”