A Bury St Edmunds man has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young girl.
Aaron Clayton, 32, committed the offences at an address in the town, a jury at Ipswich Crown Court decided on Friday.
Clayton, of College Close, Bury St Edmunds, pleaded not guilty to two offences of sexually assaulting a child but it took a jury just over an hour to convict him.
Judge Rupert Overbury told Clayton that he will be remanded in custody until he is sentenced on May 20.
During the trial, the girl told the court that on a number of occasions Clayton indecently touched her.
In a recorded interview played to the jury, the girl said: “I said stop but he didn’t stop.”
The offences, alleged to have been committed between 2012 and 2013, came to light when the girl was overheard by her mother.
Charles Myatt, prosecuting, said the mother had been ‘surprised and shocked’ by what she heard.
When asked by her mother about what Clayton had done, the girl said he had touched her on a number of occasions.
The court heard that following his arrest Clayton was told by police that swabs for forensic analysis would be taken from his hands.
Pc Steve Duncan said shortly afterwards Clayton was seen cleaning his hands with alcohol based gel and moments after being told to stop was observed by another officer cleaning under his fingernails with a piece of paper.
When interviewed Clayton declined to answer any police questions, said Mr Myatt.
Giving evidence, Clayton denied doing anything indecent to the girl and said he believed that she had misunderstood him.
Any physical contact with the girl, who he admitted he had known, had been entirely innocent, said Clayton.