Bury St Edmunds couple with newborn son have lucky escape after washing machine explodes

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Andrew Corwin with part of the glass door for his washing machine which exploded after using the machine. ANL-141215-162721009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Andrew Corwin with part of the glass door for his washing machine which exploded after using the machine. ANL-141215-162721009
0
Have your say

A couple from Bury St Edmunds have been left in shock after their washing machine exploded - just a few days after they brought their newborn son home from hospital.

Andrew Corwin, 37, was taking some laundry upstairs after using the four-year-old Beko machine last Thursday when he heard a loud bang.

Upon returning to the kitchen he discovered it had exploded, spraying glass across his kitchen.

Neither his wife Fran, 24, or their 11-day-old son Stanley were in the room at the time.

Andrew, of Samson Close, said: “It was quite a shock. There was no crack or anything, it just blew up for no reason. Luckily none of us were in the room, or it could have been much worse.

“We’d got back from the hospital the day before, I’d just washed some of Stanley’s clothes and was taking them upstairs. Luckily I took him with me. I just heard this massive bang, and when I went back down there was glass all over the kitchen floor.

“I believe I’ve been sold something that was not safe to use. Beko has called engineers to come and replace the drum and the door, but I don’t trust the model now.”

Due to their distrust of their old appliance, Andrew and Fran have paid out for a new washing machine - without knowing whether they will receive compensation from Beko.

“We’re still worried because Beko said they can’t fix it until after Christmas, which is too late,” said Andrew.

“It is important Stanley has clean clothes and blankets, so we can’t afford to wait.”