Bury man ‘not guilty’ of allowing criminal transactions through bank account

Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001

Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001

0
Have your say

A Bury St Edmunds man has walked free from court after a jury decided he was not guilty of allowing criminal transactions to take place through his bank account.

Trevor Seeley, 40, of St Olaves Road, had been accused of knowing that money paid into his account by an on-line loan company and then repaid by him had been part of a scam.

Today (Friday) after less than two hours of deliberations a jury at Ipswich Crown Court found Seeley not guilty. He had been accused of converting criminal property between January and March last year.

After the verdict was announced, Mr Recorder Christopher Makey told Seeley that he was free to leave the court.

Seeley had told the jury that instead of being involved in a scam, he himself had fallen victim to it, losing money loaned to him by his brother.

During a two day trial the court heard that Seeley, a nightshift forklift driver and warehouse operative, had queried what was taking place with the company to who he had applied for a loan and was told all was above board.

Seeley said that he allowed money to be paid into his account and then withdrew it to return it as it had been explained to him that it was a way of improving his credit score.

The father of two said he and his wife had been in debt and had been rejected for a loan because his credit score was too low.

When the trial opened, Michael Crimp, prosecuting, alleged that money which arrived in Seeley’s bank account had been upfront fees for loans which were never made by the operators of an online site.