A NEW booklet chronicling the history of St Edmund’s Catholic Church, in Bury St Edmunds, has been released as part of its 250th anniversary celebrations.
The 60-page publication, The Present From Our Past, examines the history of the church and parish of St Edmund, King and Martyr with illustrations and old photographs.
It was produced over four years by the St Edmund’s History Group, which includes St Benedict’s School teacher Dominic Billing, former chairman of the Bury Society Sarah Green, former Detective Chief Superintendent of Suffolk Police John Saunders, retired industrial chemist John Steggles and parish priest Mgr Philip Shryane.
It tells of how Jesuit priests, in times when Catholic worship was illegal, supported the Catholic community in the town by establishing a chapel in Westgate Street where Mass was first celebrated on December 8, 1762.
Profits from the booklet will go towards a £500,000 fund to restore the crypt, chapel and church.
Priced £4.50, it is available from the Presbytery, 21 Westgate Street, the Cathedral Shop, in Crown Street, and by emailing email@example.com