Architects behind Cupola House restoration in Bury St Edmunds release first drawings of work to be carried out

Cupola House
Cupola House
0
Have your say

The finer details of the restoration of Cupola House in Bury St Edmunds have been revealed in drawings by architect Purcell.

The finer details of the restoration of Cupola House in Bury St Edmunds have been revealed in drawings by architect Purcell.

The fire ravaged building in The Traverse is to be restored back to its former glory.

And drawings that form part of the planning application by owners OMC Investments, shows the care to detail that will be taken.

Robert Light, an architect from Purcell who supplied the image, said: “To retain the heritage and architectural significance of the building within the retail heart of Bury St Edmunds, the building will be recreated to capture its interior and exterior character through a scholarly reconstruction.”

The plans, which will be considered by St Edmundsbury Borough Council, include a new weathervane with the same 17th century markings as the original atop of the building.

The original weathervane carried the markings T MS and the year 1693 which historian Dr Pat Murrell said denoted the initials of Thomas Macro junior who carried ut much of the work on the building, and his wife Susan, while the year 1693 is thought to indicate the year the building was completed.

The drawings show much of the rest of the building will be returned to its ‘pre-fire’ design,

A steel frame will now be inserted into the timber framed building to make it structually sound.

Strada who ran a restaurant inside the building said it anticipates reopening back in The Cupola next summer.

The fire is now part of the history of cupola house and its story is likely to feature in the rebuilt building.

Robert Light from Purcell said: “The internal design will be restored to its pre-fire state, but we will certainly consider ways to illustrate its recent history, either expressing this architecturally or perhaps through photographs within the building.”

It is 10 months since a fire devastated the Grade I listed building.

Restaurant staff and 120 diners had to evacuate the building on a busy Saturday night. No one was hurt.

The fire was caused after a chef placed a fire blanket over flames, but then removed it when the blanket went black. Flames then shot up the dumb waiter system.