Henry Stanley, auctioneer, is listed at No 5 Hatter Street in the directories from 1879 to 1891.
The house was later known as York House following a visit from the then Duke of York (later King George V) in 1893. In the 1920s the southern half of the house was demolished and replaced by the Central Cinema, opened in 1924. After many alterations and name changes the cinema is still open – the Abbeygate Cinema. The northern half of the building has been converted into a cafe for the cinema. The single-storey building to the south was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by a three storey block.
-- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.
Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and donations - a further £2,000 is needed to complete the task. They can be viewed at www.burypastandpresent.org.uk where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro.