Nostalgia

Nostalgia

NOSTALGIA: Church of St Mary the Virgin and graveyard, Culford – from the Spanton Jarman collection

The two large white tombs in the churchyard at St Mary’s are the graves of the Rev E R Benyon’s well-known and respected gardener and author, Peter Grieve (died 1895 aged 83), famous breeder of zonal pelargonium – commonly known as geraniums – and his wife, Ann (died 1907 aged 85).

Nostalgia
Thetford Carnival 1985 ANL-160915-095338001

NOSTALGIA: Pirates take the carnival float prize

there is a move to bring back Thetford carnival and this picture was taken at the 1985 Thetford Carnival on May day bank holiday and raised ‘a magnificent £1,500’ for Lions Club charities – that’s worth about £4,560 today.

Nostalgia
Dog walk in 1995 to raise money for an abandonned dog

NOSTALGIA: Going walkies for a Princely sum

In October, 1995, Bury Free Press readers took an abandoned German shepherd dog to their hearts after he was found at the roadside in Lawshall in terrible condition, with three-inch long claws, pressure sores and other problems.

Nostalgia
Drinkstone House, Drinkstone. No date. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160809-112803001

NOSTALGIA: Drinkstone House, Drinkstone - from the Spanton Jarman collection

This house on the green at Drinkstone was owned by Major Duncan Webb, whose son, Captain Duncan Vere Webb was killed in France whilst serving in World War One in the Leicestershire Regiment.

Nostalgia
Remember when children used to play outdoors?

10 best outdoor games we used to play that our kids have never heard of

Kids of the 70s, 80s and 90s will remember them well with a nostalgic tear in their eye but here are 10 great outdoor games we used to play that our children have probably never heard of.

Lifestyle
Mr Drake's house - Broackley. No date. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160609-154358001

NOSTALGIA: Mr Drake’s house, Brockley – From the Spanton Jarman collection

Now called Brockley Place, this house was once the village rectory.

Nostalgia
Priory School pupils visit the Bury Free Press in 1994 ANL-160909-092930001

NOSTALGIA: School makes the news

This week’s photograph was taken at the Bury Free Press office in November 1994.

Nostalgia
Church of St Clare at Bradfield St Clare. Date unknown. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160831-095909001

NOSTALGIA: Bradfield St Clare, date unknown - From the Spanton Jarman collection

The village church, pictured here from the south west, is named after St Clare, a friend of Francis of Assisi who founded a monastic order.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia: Van Melle staff present ?1,200 to West Suffolk Hospital's scanner appeal in 1988 ANL-160825-130620001

NOSTALGIA: Sweet delivery

This week’s photograph was taken in January 1988 at the Bury St Edmunds sweet manufacturer Van Melle.

Nostalgia
Boxted Hall - from the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160823-171416001

NOSTALGIA: Boxsted Hall - from the Spanton Jarman collection

Situated in 200 acres of parkland and woodland and surrounded by a moat, Boxted Hall has been in the ownership of the same family since the 14th century, though the date of this picture is unknown.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia: litter pick in Beck Row in April 1998 ANL-160822-113041005

NOSTALGIA: Clean-up at ancient wood

This photo was taken in April 1998 when volunteers turned out in force to take part in a litter pick at Aspal Close in Beck Row.

Nostalgia
Beyton Bear, The Green, date c1900. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160816-151032001

NOSTALGIA: Beyton Bear, The Green, c1900 - from the Spanton Jarman collection

The Bear public house is in the distance, in this picture taken around the start of the last century.

Nostalgia
Bury St Edmunds Young CND protest march in August 1986 ANL-161208-154916001

NOSTALGIA: MP misses YCND protest

In August 1986, members of Bury St Edmunds Youth Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (YCND) drew curious glances from shoppers but failed to get their argument across to their main target.

Nostalgia
Abbeygate Street, fire of 1882. From the Spanton Jarman collection

NOSTALGIA: The Abbeygate Street fire of 1882 - from the Spanton Jarman collection

The newspaper accounts of the time make it clear that the site of the fire in Bury St Edmunds was a great attraction to the people who came from quite a distance to see the devastation.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia: Stanton Primary School children with a ?1,80 cheque for the NSPCC in December 1991 ANL-160729-091904005

NOSTALGIA: Pupils’ colouring capers raise NSPCC cash

This photograph shows pupils at Stanton Primary School in December 1991.

Nostalgia
Station Hill, Boby Bros, Station Works. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160707-150305001

NOSTALGIA: Boby Bros, Station Works, Station Hill, Bury, c1890 - from the Spanton Jarman collection

Robert and George Boby established their Station Hill Works in 1871-2 on a site previously occupied by Thomas Prentice & Co, timber, slate and coal merchants.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia: record breakers at The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds, in 1989 for launch of 1990 Guinness Book of World Records ANL-160713-145801005

NOSTALGIA: Treasure hunters crack Nutshell clue

This photo was taken in October 1989 as record breakers from all over the country converged on one of the smallest pubs in Britain – The Nutshell in Bury St Edmunds – to celebrate the launch of the 1990 Guinness Book of Records.

Nostalgia
Royal Show, Bury St Edmunds. 15-19 th July 1867. Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160507-112349001

NOSTALGIA: Royal Show, Bury St Edmunds, July 15-19, 1867 - from the Spanton Jarman collection

Bury St Edmunds was honoured with this event which took place just off Eastgate Street, in Bury St Edmunds, near today’s Eastgate Industrial Estate.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia - retirement of sister Jean Williams from West Suffolk Hospital in 1992 ANL-160507-162526005

NOSTALGIA: Farewell to sister Jean

This week’s photograph was taken in February 1992 during a ‘send-off’ for sister Jean Williams at West Suffolk Hospital.

Nostalgia
Convent of St Louis, St Andrews Castle, St Andrews Street, c1927. From the Spanton Jarman collection ANL-160623-141711001

Convent of St Louis, St Andrew’s Castle, St Andrew’s Street, c1927 - from the Spanton Jarman collection

Built around 1795 for Ezekiel Sparke – James Oakes’ attorney – when it was known as Sparke’s Castle, George Boby lived here in the mid-19th century.

Nostalgia
Load more