Abbey Garden views

Coach House, Bury St Edmunds
Coach House, Bury St Edmunds

To call Couch House ‘unique’ is no exaggeration by the agents Bedfords.

For this is a detached cottage in the historic heart of Bury St Edmunds, but is surrounded by the Abbey Gardens.

Coach House, Bury St Edmunds

Coach House, Bury St Edmunds

In fact, the abbey ruins can be seen over the garden wall and the view from the first floor of the house is of the rose gardens and St Edmundsbury Cathedral.

Though not listed individually it is part of the Grade One listed West Front group of buildings and was renovated with those in 1995.

Though it has no formal garden, it does have immediate access to the Abbey Gardens and the Great Churchyard.

Bedfors say that while it is well cared for, it offers ‘room for some cosmetic improvement and perhaps some updating’.

Coach House, Bury St Edmunds

Coach House, Bury St Edmunds

Downstairs is a 14ft by 11ft 7in reception or dining hall with a reclaimed brick floor , tongue and groove panelling and stairs to the first floor.

Double doors lead through to the 10ft 2in by 8ft 10in kitchen, with a brick floor and wall and base units with limed-oak doors.

It has a built-in four-ring ceramic hob with and oven below and extractor hood over it. There is space and plumbing for a dishwasher and fridge.

What was the garage is currently a 16ft 3in by 10ft 2in reception room.

There is also a 13ft 2in by 12ft 6in sitting room with a vaulted tongue-and-groove panelled ceiling, exposed tie beam and fine views over the Abbey Gardens’ rose garden to the cathedral.

The bedroom is 11ft 2in by 8ft 5in with an additional alcove.

It has a semi-vaulted tongue-and-groove panelled ceiling a a range of fitted wardrobes.

This double-aspect room also has views of the rose garden and cathedral.

The bathroom is next to the bedroom, with a panelled bath with shower over it.

The house has a paved courtyard but Bedfords say the garage could be returned to its original use if required.

The property is on a 125-year lease granted in May 1996, so still has 106 years to run.

The West Front was once part of the abbey, which was built between 1020 and 1220.

Houses were incorporated into the West Wing in the 18th century but it had become a building at risk until St Edmundsbury Borough Council lead the project to restore them.

Guide price: £335,000

Agents: Bedfords, Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, 01284 769999