The cost of living: 1935
The following items have been taken from the Bury Free Press archives, from 1935.
A locknit set - slip, French knickers and vest - from E Pretty & Co, in the Butter Market and Traverse, Bury St Edmunds, cost 6s 11d.
A return fare from Cornhill, in Bury, to Ipswich on an Eastern Counties coach cost 2s 6d.
Dry cleaning at Edwin R Reeve, in Croxton Road, Thetford, cost 3s 6d.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North